Friday, January 11, 2013

Boston Girl Goes Southern

The most popular item in NYC? Sterling monogrammed
necklaces- like this one from Tiny Tulip.
In 2011, one of my closest friends, a life-long Massachusetts resident, packed her bags for the University of Alabama. Since, I have always been intrigued by her stories of charming southern boys, sorority sisters, sweet tea, and (most of all) style. It is no secret that southern  girls have their own unique style, often characterized by preppy prints, leather cowboy boots, and over sized, statement jewelry. In recent months, southern girls have embraced the monogram and made it a part of their everyday outfits. These girls have gone beyond the "traditional" monogrammed necklace and have plastered their initials on everything from jackets to shoes and beyond. I currently work as an assistant buyer for a small retail store in Massachusetts and decided to investigate this growing trend further on a recent buying trip. Earlier this week my boss and I were in NYC at FAME and MODA, two large clothing and accessory shows. As I shopped, I took note of the prevalence of monogrammed items. Despite my initial weariness of this trend, it is catching on fast, even among the more conservative northerners.


Just a few days later, I stumbled upon the website Tiny Tulip, a site dedicated entirely to monogrammed and personalized items. As I perused the site's offerings, I was amazed at the things people actually want personalized, everything from umbrellas to athletic shorts and candles. While I tried to resist, I fell in love with an item on the site. Understand that monograms are SO not my thing; I usually prefer a more streamlined and stylish look but for some reason a particular piece caught my eye- and I bought it. Something about the Double Monogrammed Raincoat Windjacket was so cute, effortless, and perfect for spring. All of the color options were vibrant and complementary; I choose the aqua with hot pink lettering (as shown at right).

While you certainly won't be seeing me in a head to toe monogrammed outfit- the trend is growing on me.  I hate to say it, but the southerners have converted me on this one.

Check out Tiny Tulip and let me know what you think of the monogram trend!

No comments:

Post a Comment